SERIOUSLY !

Posted on 11:29 PM, under

It's 1:30 a.m here in College Station, TX. I'm wandering between Qatarliving.com and iloveqatar.com

YES, this is another post about Qatar Living. I find shocking and surprising posts every time i take a look at their forum.

So, this what all this is a bout..

==========
The most amazing thig happened a few minutes back " I heard a Qatari say sorry" to a asian guy.
I went downstairs to the corner shop to buy a pack of cigarette's. I was about to leave when a middle aged Qatari man entered the shop talking over his phone and ran into a asian guy ....no no not with a land cruiser he was walking this time. Yeah he ran into this guy who was standing next to the counter probably from India, Srilanka, Bangladesh etc..
Then he gently taps him on his back and says SORRY.
Probably the guy on the receving end failed to notice the importance of it.........But i did.
=========


This was the post. I'm hoping this guy was just trying to tease people with this post.

Is this what people think of us ? Do they think Qataris are like Pepsi cans in a grocery store cooler ? WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME !

I still don't understand why anyone would make such generalizations about anyone !

I'm not trying to say Qataris are the most polite people in the world. But Qataris are not the same. everyone is different.

I don't need to comment further. I was just pissed off at this post and other similar ones.

| edit post

6 Reply to "SERIOUSLY !"

  • Bravecat on July 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM

    Oh come on. You know that in 9 cases out of 10, the Qatari man wouldn't have apologised in such situation.

    :P

    You are not all the same, but most of you are very much alike.

    And yes, I am being sarcastic, and no, I don't think you are all the same. I just missed your posts in English!

     

    Anonymous on August 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM

    I think that despite the small number of Qataris there are many different types of us. There are many different extremes and mentalities. If a person is rude, he/she will be rude with everyone, not only asians. one time a qatari lady cut in the queue and i told her "this is why foriegners think that we are impolite". But at the same time most Qataris were standing in the queue just like everyone else. At the end we are people, and its very ignorant to generalize like that. There are rude people everywhere in the world not just Qatar.

    BTW i really like your blog, i think i will give it time to read ..

     

    I care on August 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM

    mimizwords,

    it's true that we're different and it's stupid to make generalizations. I'd love to agree with you on your statement that if someone is rude he/she will be rude to everyone but. sadly, i can't.

    Look around you.

    ok, i just thought of a new way to think of things without generalizng and in the same time having a realistic view.

    let's take cutting lines as an example. We all agree that not all qataries will do that. and it's wrong to say that all of them do that. BUT, the ones that do that all mostly Qataries. I hate to throw a random number in the air, but i'd say 90% of people who do that are Qataries.

    I know Bravecat was being sarcatic. However, i can smell a scent of truth in what she said.

    ------

    i'm happy I have 1 more reader. Probably now i'll start writing more often.

    I'll took a quick glance at your blog. grabbed my interes. I promise to go back to it later.

     

    Anonymous on August 29, 2009 at 4:32 AM

    even i used to think that all qataris are rude and unfriendly. But that was before i had Qatari friends. Now I know that all Qataris are not rude. My Qatari friends are wonderfull people. They are very caring and polite and honest. I think most of the ppl in Qatar do not have Qatari friends. They see the spoilt Qaari kids on the roads and this stays in their mind.

     

    DreamerMe on December 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM

    Hmm, I think we're all prone to generalize. Sometimes we do it without so much as a second though to it.

    However, I tend to catch myself, stop, and think that it's just plain wrong to generalize, and that I should judge it on an individuality basis--without the generalizing.

    Good topic you brought forth here.

     

    Manic Expressive on May 9, 2010 at 4:47 AM

    Indeed, most Qatari's I actually meet are very nice people. But, sadly, I think I would say the same thing as that poster. Based on what I have seen and experienced, well, unfortunately, I have seen so many people being mistreated so often. It's SAD. I KNOW all Qatar's aren't like that. But, a reputation has been developed.

    Not all Americans are gun toting war mongers, not all British have bad teeth, not all Canadians are hockey playing hosers, not all Australians are racists, etc. I know this. I guess reputations precede us all. Stereotypes persist.

    I guess the best thing to do is to fight it. Tell others when you see them treat people like crap that they are out of line. Keep letting people know that Qatari's aren't all alike.

    I wish I knew more Qataris. I know very few. I don't know why it has been this way. There seems to be this big divide between ex-pats and Qataris. I'm not blaming Qataris for this at all. Us ex-pats are equally to blame, if not MORE to blame. Yes, I think we are more to blame actually. But also the fact that only something like 25 percent of the population is Qatari makes it a bit challenging. Hopefully, over time, I will meet more Qataris.

    By the way, this is a GREAT blog and I look forward to reading it more and more. So keep posting!

     
  • Post a Comment